A touch of history
Prior to 1890, San Marco Avenue was known as Shell Road and was a residential street. Duff Green purchased six properties, 45 San Marco being one of them. Duff Green was a young man from England who was known to gamble with Henry Flagler in the back dining room of the now Le Pavillon.
He built this house and many others in the area known as the Abbot Tract.
In 1900 William Bridier, a bicycle dealer from France, his wife and four daughters were the first family to live here. Since then, there have been many occupants including Fred V. Willis, treasurer and manager of St. Augustine Music and Furniture Company and William B. Parkhill, the St. Augustine Fire Chief. Mrs. Bernice Roe then ran the Siesta Bed & Breakfast for 35 years as the Siesta Inn.
In 1977, the house was leased to Fritz Dold and it was turned into a restaurant. He convinced his sister Gisele and brother-in-law, Chef Claude Sinatsch, to relocate from New York to St. Augustine. The house was purchased and Chef Claude, Gisele, and their two children made the move to St. Augustine.
As the business grew, rooms were added and renovated but the restaurant still remains an old home. Le Pavillon continues to be a landmark of excellent food in the European style.
As time goes by, we have experienced some visitors from the past. The ghosts of Mr. Green and Mrs. Roe especially have been seen in the upstairs dining room. Doors swing open and shut, objects move and moaning and creaking is sometimes heard. Probably the old house is settling, or is it?